San Francisco, CA
Python programmer contributing to a more
delightful, humane, and advancing world.
- Systems / Web Stack:
VMware ESX / ESXi,
- Software & Libraries:
University of Waterloo
Graduated Honours Bachelor of Mathematics, Computer Science (2001)
- Software Engineering Option. Society, Technology, and Values
- Contributed to a paper on Automatic Sequences accepted by ICALP
and published by RAIRO
Hipmunk Inc. - Senior Engineer
Full-time. 2014 to 2016
- Reliability - Dockerized the unit test environment, Created canned
response modules for testing against 3rd party APIs, Created mocks for the
internal ORM and Amazon's S3 API
- Mentorship of junior-level engineers
- Hotel Images Project - Implemented a system improve the quality and
performance of the hotel product. The system consumes 40 million images
from 3rd parties, detects duplicates with a "phash" algorithm, creates
derivatives using PIL, stores them in S3, and serves them via CDN. Also, built
an admin interface and pushed metadata up to a backend API.
- Scraperlog Archiver Project - Created a fault-tolerant, high-throughput
(gigabytes per hour) system to continuously save and index
API responses on S3, including an admin interface. This allowed us to diagnose
notoriously elusive pricing and availability issues.
- Codebase Husbandry - refactored import statements in the entire
codebase for consistency,
contributed to the Dockerization of our stack and "canary"
implemented an asynchronous (Tornado) module to interact with S3,
and a module to support an interruptable pipeline pattern with
Full-time. 2013 to 2014
for an online university.
- 2013: backend work on a geographical web service built
on a Django stack.
- Besides adding features and creating tools in Python and Bash,
my contributions weighed heavily on the reliability side - creating unit tests,
performance tests and being the "Test-Parallel-Development" advocate.
Full-time. 2011 to 2014
- Passion project. Kickstarted (over 500% funded) a board game
accessories company, whose every hat I wore.
- Created dynamic artwork, marketing web site, online storefront,
using Python and some PHP.
- Designed, laser-cut, assembled and shipped physical products to over
VMware Inc. - Member of the Technical Staff
Full-time. 2006 to 2011
- Installer project: Developer on the ESX 4.0 and ESXi 4.5 installers.
Team lead on the ESXi 5.0 installer. A Python application that
integrates with low-level libraries to install the operating system
to a disk. Implemented graphical (GTK), "curses-like", and headless
- Esxupdate project: Developer on esxupdate for ESX 3.5. A Python
application to retrieve patches (RPMs) from the network, verify their
integrity, and apply them.
- Founded the Python Users' Group at VMware. Organizer of monthly
meetings and presenter of talks.
J2X Technologies Inc. - J2Play Program Lead
Full-time. 2004 to 2006
- Co-led the successful technical launch of our games with 4
Digital Thinkery - Team Lead / Entrepreneur
Full-time. 2001 to 2004
- Led a team of 3 developing a PHP / Postgresql system to automate
booking, point-of-sale, and report creation for a resort
AOL / Quack.com - Software Developer
Full-time Co-op. 2000
- Wrote a C++ abstraction layer for software telephony
Inline Internet Systems, Inc. - Software Developer
Full-time Co-op. 1999 to 2000
- C programming and system administration
Sybase, Inc. - Software
Developer and Product Management
Full-time Co-op. 1998
- C++, Ecmascript programming, market research
Ontario Ministry of Transportation - Web Designer
Full-time Co-op. 1997
References available upon request
ACHIEVEMENTS / INTERESTS
- Learning Mandarin and French.
- 11 hobby computer games made with Pygame or Pyglet.
Awarded 2nd place in a 48-hour competition.
- Author of "sjbrown's Guide to Writing Games", a highly regarded
tutorial in the Pygame community.
- Geeky.net: Co-founded a not-for-profit community internet services
provider (lots of sysadmin stuff and script writing).
- UW Co-op System Quick and Dirty Web Front End